Thursday, May 5, 2011

Innovation Theology

Ever wonder about the spirituality of innovators, inventors, entrepreneurs, leaders of great movements large and small, poets, painters, writers, and revolutionaries all?

My favorite monk, Thomas Merton, gives the best summary for innovation theology in a post to his diary in May 1967,

What is wrong in my life...is unawareness, lostness, slackness, relaxation, dissipation of desire, lack of courage and decision, so that I let myself be carried along and dictated by an alien movement. The "current of the world," which I know is not mine...is not going where I am called to go. And only if I go where I must go can I be of any use to "the world." I can serve the world best by keeping my distance and my freedom.

Great words from the monk.

They leave a simple question, when thinking of successful innovators, inventors, entrepreneurs, leaders of great movements large and small, poets, painters, writers, and revolutionaries all who seem to go where they are called to go.

A simple question that lurks,

What do I really know?


--tim

twitter tjmorin

No comments:

Post a Comment